On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 15:11:36 +0300
Tapio Lehtonen <tapio.lehto...@satatuuli.fi> wrote:

> Running BackupPC 3 on Debian Wheezy. Ran out of inodes on 250 GB
> filesystem, max inodes was 15 million.

Use the force, change to a better FS: XFS (w/ the inode64 switch on)

eg: laptop 500GB HD filled @ 80% with many small pictures and dev files,
    df -i returns:
    Filesystem     Inodes    IUsed   IFree        IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2      388630464 1265847 387364617    1%    /

XFS is also capable to raise the inodes quantity in one command
while the partition's mounted.

> Can the nightly cleanup now run
> and maybe release some idodes from the oldest backups?

Best way to know: test it…

> Since the filesystem is Ext4 I can not increase max inodes. Would it
> reduce the need of inodes if I reduced the number of backups to keep?

google 'inode' to know exactly what it is.

> My quess is users have lots of e-mails stored and since those tend to
> be small they eat up the inodes.

This is entirely YOUR fault, 'cos before establishing a backup system,
an admin has to analyze what the data is made of, with the aim of what
he's gonna do with it. Counting the number of files and their size to
process is backup's 1.0.1, while checking if you have enough room &
inodes on the backup device is 1.0.2.
Not to mention that some self-researches & readings can help.

Jean-Yves