On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:12:39 -0400
Bob Katz <bobk...@digido.com> wrote:

> I appreciate that. Well, if I have to do a bare metal restore I would
> use a clone, it's safer, if it's recent.

I don't see where it could be safer; the worse you can have are eventual
dangling files if the install image has changed a lot between you
original system installation and the restore.

And as you said about the clone: "IF it's recent" - which is almost
always not the case, this is where BPC take it's whole value: at worse,
you'll restore the yesterday backup, which usually doesn't take more time
than an image restore.
In a production environment where today's work _must_ be saved, a
combination of BPC and several snapshots a day does the trick,
providing FS/Network core/Network speed allows it in a reasonable
time slice.

> My object of backing up the
> server is that hopefully I could get myself out of a disaster by
> digging through incrementals.

? My object of backing up the server is to recover it fully functional
with the minimal loss of data in a minimum of timeā€¦

JY