Jamie-

Another source of advice is the listserv archives.   Assuming you're
running BackupPC 4.  If not, you'll want to upgrade!

Our organization wants to keep at least one month of daily backups

Here's a snippet of a post I did on this subject the last time someone
asked about schedules.

The values you'll want to check:
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 26;      # This is the number of total 'unfilled'
backups kept.

$Conf{FillCycle} = 7;    # This is how often a filled backup is kept (1 per
week) which strongly influences the next setting

$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [  4,  3,  0, ];  # This defines how many 'filled'
backups are retained.

The combination of filled and unfilled backups result in ~32 days of daily
backups plus a couple of older ones just in case a user needs a file from
more than a month ago.

Remember, in BackupPC 4,  a "filled" backup is kinda equivalent to a 'full'
backup for the purposes of "FullKeepCnt", which should be renamed
"FilledKeepCnt".

Missing from that post was:
      $Conf{FullPeriod} = 90.97

This defines the time between 'full' backups where a full checksum is done
against the source.

But, as it turns out, my schedule above deletes the last 'full' backup
after about 70 days, and BackupPC ends up taking a full immediately after
that, so the "FullPeriod" never ends up being triggered.
If my "FullKeepCnt" looked like [4, 3, 1, ]    then my FullPeriod would
trigger before the last full backup was aged out.  The Filled vs. Full
backups are a bit confusing.

--
Ray Frush

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Jamie Burchell <ja...@ib3.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Hoping someone can give me that “ah ha!” moment that I’m so desperately
> craving after pouring over the documentation, mailing lists and various
> forum posts.
>

> I want to move from BackupPC’s default schedule to keeping ~1 month’s
> worth of backups, but I cannot fathom if I should:
>

> -          Do a full backup every day and keep 30 of them
>
> -          Do a full backup every week and keep 4 of them, with
> incrementals in between
>
> -          Do a full backup each month and keep 30 incrementals.
>

> BackupPC is so efficient with storage and transferring only what is needed
> between backups that I don’t understand the difference between the three
> approaches. All backups can be browsed like full backups, BackupPC only
> ever transfers files it doesn’t have, all storage is deduplicated and rsync
> can detect changes, new files and deletions, so why does it matter? I am
> using rsync (over SSH), network speed and reliability is good and the
> drives are all SSD.
>

> The settings I currently have are:
>

> FullPeriod 6.97
>
> FullKeepCnt 4
>
> IncrPeriod 0.97
>
> IncrKeepCnt 24
>

> I **think** this will give me 4 full backups with incrementals in
> between, but I think I could have equally have gone with:
>

> FullPeriod 30
>
> FullKeepCnt 1
>
> IncrPeriod 0.97
>
> IncrKeepCnt 29
>

> I don’t understand what is meant by a “filled backup” either.
>

> Thanks for any clarity/help in advance!
>

> Regards
>
> Jamie

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.