The public key you need to copy is the one for the backuppc user, not the
root user, because it's the backuppc user that's going to be making the
connection (yes, you will add it to the root user's authorized_keys on the
client, because bacuppc will sign into the client as root).

Your initial error report shows this:
*/usr/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: Source of key(s) to be installed:
"/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/id_rsa.pub"*

This shows that it's trying to copy the key from the correct place. On my
BPC4 install, /var/lib/backuppc is symlinked to /srv/backuppc, which is why
I asked if you were working in that folder, i.e. did you 'cd /srv/backuppc'
(or 'cd /var/lib/backuppc')?