Hi,

f...@igh.de wrote on 2018-03-08 16:59:37 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Serious
error: last backup ... directory doesn't exist!!! - reason found]:
> [...]
> Meanwhile I found the reason: the partition ran out of inodes. As you
> wrote under "How much disk space do I need?" one has to have "plenty
> of inodes". But what does that mean?

as has been said, that depends directly on what you are backing up.

> May I ask the following:
>
> - in the "General Server Information" you give some statistical
>   information about disk usage; would it be a good idea also to give
>   information about inode consumption?

You mean 'df -i'?

> - is it possible and would it make sense to separate the "pc" and the
>   "pool/cpool" directories into different partitions? I just did an
>   rsync of a BackupPC-directory and found that the files on "pc" are
>   mostly empty or small. The file sizes in "pool/cpool" are remarkable
>   bigger - I assume these are the "real" files. So one could create
>   one partition for "pool/cpool" having about e.g. 64kB per inode and
>   another partition having a block size of 1 kB and also 1 kB per
>   inode. Maybe this would reduce disk space consumption and also allow
>   rsyncing somewhat faster.

My first thought is to avoid the issue altogether by using a file system
that doesn't statically allocate inodes (e.g. XFS or reiserfs, the latter
I wouldn't recommend for other reasons, though; I don't know about ext4,
btrfs and ZFS, but my guess would be that ext4 has static allocation and
the others dynamic). Why worry about a problem modern file systems simply
don't have?

Regards,
Holger