On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Philip Parsons (Velindre - Medical Physics) wrote:

Dear list,

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but I couldn't see anything in
recent archives that specifically related to v4 of BackupPC.

I am using BackupPC v4.1.5 to backup hospital data to an on-site server.  We
would however, like to backup this data to another off-site server.  Has anyone
had any experience of this?

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to set up another instance of backuppc on the remote server, turn off all the backup functions, copy the config settings, rsync the pool and just have that instance as a restorative method (should something happen to our on-site copy). Is this feasible?

I terribly failed rsyncing 300GB of data from BackupPC v3 to a different disk/site. It was just too slow. Could be v4 is bit better without the hard links, but it will definitely be slow. I then used LVM mirror and it was finished withing few hours - you can find the thread few month ago here in the list. So no - do not use rsync to backup BackupPC.

I guess there are a number of ways that this could be achieved. CPool size is currently approximately 10Tb. Off-site network speed is going to be pretty good (apologies for the vagueness here).

I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts, or experiences of setting up an off-site replication server with BackupPC v4.

Thanks,
Phil

Adam Pribyl