On 2018-06-14 10:05, Bowie Bailey wrote:
I just installed BackupPC v4 on a CentOS 7 server with 4G ram.  I am
trying to back up a local 318G filesystem.  I am using rsyncd over the
loopback connection.  It has been running for 17 hours so far and has
backed up less than half of the directory (based on the size of the
backup filesystem).  Running top does not show any excessive cpu or
iowait.  "free" shows no swap usage and 1.5G available memory.

Why are you using rsyncd over the loopback instead of ... rsync?

Is it normal for the backup to take this long?

While that's hard to guess without knowing the particulars of your system, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, no. No it is not.

Is there a better way to back up a local filesystem?

Personally, I use rsync (not rsyncd) and in the cases where I have experienced slowness, it was due to poorly chosen rsync parameters (I note that this would not differ between rsync and rsyncd), a broken filesystem, or a specific bug in a specific version of rsync.