I'm building a BackupPC host, with two SSD disks and two 4 TB rotating disks connected to LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 2108 [Liberator] (rev 05). Operating system is Debian GNU/Linux 9.5. The plan is to put OS on SSD disks with RAID1, and BackupPC data pool to rotating disk with RAID1. SSD disks are 240 GB each, I'm open to suggestions how to use part of them for cache or journal device or something.

That disk controller has reasonably performant RAID with battery backup, so I prefer using those features. Thus ZFS is not good, my understanding is ZFS should be used with plain host bus adapters.

I'm thinking XFS, so inode allocation is not a problem (previously I asked in this mailing list how to recover from out of inodes). What I read indicate XFS is equal or better than Ext4 for most features.

I could not find recent recommendations for file system used with BackupPC. Those old ones I found say ReiserFS is good, it probably is but not much maintained recently.

So, any recommendation for file system?
--
Tapio Lehtonen
OSK Satatuuli