Since there's nothing of interest in the XferLOG file, I'd recommend
running BackupPC_dump from the command-line with the -v option.  That
should copy all log messages to stdout so you should see them in real
time.  First make sure there are no backups running on HOST (where HOST is
kestrel or localhost or whatever client you want to run) and then run this
as the BackupPC user:

su backuppc

BackupPC_dump -v -f HOST

If that doesn't show much useful information, the next step is re-run after
increasing the XferLogLevel (eg, to 5) and adding "-vv" or "-vvv" to
$Conf{RsyncArgs} (which increases the logging level from the remote
(client) rsync).

Craig