Ideally you should turn it off after all V3 pool files have either been
migrated to the V4 pool (because a new V4 backup matched the old pool file)
or have been deleted (because no backups refer to them).

You can tell this from the status message:

Pool is X+YGiB comprising...

X is the V4 pool size, and Y is the V3 pool size.

It's ok to turn it off before the V3 pool size is zero.  Old V3 backups
will still be complete and accurate.  The only downside is that newly
backed up files could get duplicated: there could be a new copy created in
the V4 pool while an old one is still in the V3 pool.  So the potential
storage duplication/waste is the size of V3 pool when you disable the V3
pool.   Eventually the V3 pool usage should go to zero as the remaining V3
backups expire.

Craig