3. Sorry, I think of the machines being backed up as clients, but BackupPC
does call them hosts. rsync supports compressed transfers but that's not
the scheme used for storage by BackupPC.

4. You may be thinking of the tasks that check for unreferenced files and
recalculate the total pool size, which can both be split over multiple
nightly runs.

Robert Trevellyan