I observed a bit of odd behavior with a new install of BackupPC 4.3.0. on RHEL
7.5.   My data store is TrueNAS NFS.  Initially using a TrueNAS for NFS and it
was set for NFSv3 only.    In my investigation, I recalled that NFSv3 file
locking is a bit of a hack, and apparently BackupPC was really having trouble
with it.  I’m sharing this with the group in hopes that it will save someone
some time if they hit this issue.

Switching to NFSv4 on the TrueNAS (required restart), then re-mounting the
directory and restarting BackupPC, I find that the behavior now is correct.

Here’s what I’ve observed with NFSv3.  All of these issues resolved by
switching to NFSv4:

- New install with a new host definition before any backups, I can select the
host and get the host screen and I can view the Host Summary which is empty.

- Once I start a backup, the Host Summary screen and the Host screen both get
‘gateway timeout’ errors.  The processes connected with the CGI go into a ‘D’
state in ps, indicating some sort of blocking read wait.

- The initial stages of the backup seemed to take longer than usual, but the
backup itself then fires off and runs normally (with decent speed) and then
hangs again.

--
Ray Frush         "Either you are part of the solution
T:970.491.5527         or part of the precipitate."