Hi.

I've been using BackupPC since the past 13 years (starting with 2.1.2 I
think), with great success. I'm now running a few installations with v4,
and one of the things I don't understand is the Xfer errors. I
regularily check Xfer error to be sure my backups are OK. Before v3, I
could reliabily check the number of Xfer errors, but in v4, I don't
understand.

First, as soon as there's a single error (most common are "file has
vanished"), BackupPC reports 3 errors.

Often, the backup reports an error count of 2, with these kind of errors :

[ 213 lignes sautées ]
rsync_bpc: stat "/.config/google-chrome/CertificateRevocation/5022"
failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync_bpc: stat
"/.config/google-chrome/CertificateRevocation/5022/_metadata" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
rsync_bpc: stat "/.config/google-chrome/CertificateRevocation/5023"
failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync_bpc: stat
"/.config/google-chrome/CertificateRevocation/5023/_metadata" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
[ 106 lignes sautées ]

[...]

rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code 23) at main.c(1676) [generator=3.1.2.0]
rsync_bpc exited with benign status 23 (5888)

This is quite confusing because, in this example, the directories does
exist, both on the source, and in the backup accounting these errors.
So, what does this error mean ? It looks like it happens when those
directories did not exist in the previous backup (the one aginst which
rsync is transfering deltas), but, why would this be an error ?

Last, and the most important to me, I have some hosts with hundreds of
Xfer errors like these :

[ 53777 lignes sautées ]
R bpc_sysCall_checkFileMatch(shares/assistantedirection/files/Recycle
Bin/BIBLIOTHEQUE/DOCUMENTATION/AMIANTE/Courrier FEDEREC-CRAMIF-Demande
de conventionnement.pdf): file doesn't exist
R bpc_sysCall_checkFileMatch(shares/assistantedirection/files/Recycle
Bin/BIBLIOTHEQUE/DOCUMENTATION/BTP/Courrier FEDEREC-CRAMIF-Demande de
conventionnement.pdf): file doesn't exist
R bpc_sysCall_checkFileMatch(shares/assistantedirection/files/Recycle
Bin/DOSSIERS COMMUNS GROUPE PENA/ACHATS/DEMANDES D'ACHAT/2019/2 FEV
19/110319CB - GESTECO Château de France.docx): file doesn't exist
[ 161 lignes sautées ]

Those errors are not accounted in the Xfer error count, but displayed if
we open the XferErr log. My C foo is not good enough to understand
exactly what's going on in
https://github.com/backuppc/rsync-bpc/blob/master/bpc_sysCalls.c#L759

Looks like this error can be logged when a file is moved (so it exists
in the pool, but not at the same path in the previous backup agsint
which we delta ?)

Can someone confirm this is harmless ? I so, wouldn't it make sens to
remove this from the XferErr (or maybe just include it if XferLogLevel >
3 or something like that ?)

Cheers,

Daniel

--