The error you are getting is when rsync_bpc is trying to use iconv to
convert the client file name encoding to utf8 (which is the native format
that BackupPC on the server).

What is $Conf{ClientCharset} set to for this host?  If it is empty then
rsync_bpc should skip any charset conversion, so I assume it's not empty.
Next, it would appear that 'r'$'\351''ponse.doc' is not a valid encoded
name in that Charset.

In BackupPC 3.x, the xfer methods didn't support any charset conversion
(you could, for example, have smbclient do it instead).

Craig