On 2019-08-03 14:14, Norman Goldstein wrote:

> On 2019-08-03 2:08 p.m., Michael Stowe wrote:
>
> On 2019-08-03 08:24, Norman Goldstein wrote: Am running Fedora 30 x86-64, BP
> 4.3.1
> Am not able to start the BackupPC server manually.
>
> I would like to be able to run the BC server manually, to be able to debug
> into it.  When I do, as root:
>
> systemctl stop backuppc
>
> this stops the server.  Then, as user backuppc, to start the server manually:
>
> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC
>
> but the BP web page does not come back to life.  I kill this, and do:
>
> systemctl start backuppc
>
> and the BP web page comes back to life.  I checked the sysd file
>
>> cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/backuppc.service
> [Unit]
> Description= BackupPC server
> After=syslog.target local-fs.target remote-fs.target
>
> [Service]
> Type=simple
> User=backuppc
> Group=backuppc
> ExecStart=/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC
> ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
> PIDFile=/var/run/BackupPC/BackupPC.pid so there does not seem to be anything
> special about invoking the BP server.  The same problem if I use the  -d
> flag when invoking BackupPC .

Perhaps not special enough, but surely you've noticed these lines?

User=backuppc
Group=backuppc Yes, I invoke BackupPC from a backuppc xterm:
$ groups
backuppc
$ whoami
backuppc

Thanks for raising that possibility.

Since it's a simple type, there's not anything special that systemd does
except ... exactly what you did at the command line.  (N.B.:  it's
possible to override systemd with unit files that take priority, but I
imagine if something like that were at play you'd know about it.)

What this leaves is environmental differences between the user
backuppc's shell and systemd's backuppc environment -- I can't imagine
what that would be that would be that would affect only the web
service...  What is the configuration for that (from backuppc's config)?