On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:48:45PM +0000, Michael Stowe wrote:
> On 2019-08-29 14:47, Michael Stowe wrote:
>
> > On 2019-08-29 13:02, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> >
> >> I'm at wit's end -- a short trip. I have a very simple setup of a Linux
> >> server (CentOS 6) running BackupPC to back up a Win 10 Pro machine.
> >> BackupPC is BackupPC-3.3.1-5.el6.x86_64 from the EPEL repo. On the Win 10
> >> box, I created a normal user "backuppc" with a password, and then put him
> >> in the local "Backup Operators" group. I'm using SMB for the backup
> >> method.
> >>
> >> # smbclient '//nate/C$' -U backuppc -c pwd Enter backuppc's password:
> >> Domain=[NATE] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 18362] Server=[Windows 10 Pro 6.3] tree
> >> connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> >>
> >> And of course, the backups fail. I've done a Web search from the Win 10
> >> aspect, the samba aspect, and the BackupPC aspect, and have come up dry.
> >>
> >> Here is the hosts file:
> >>
> >> host dhcp user moreUsers nate 0 bob
> >
> > You can debug this entirely at the command line; you're likely to find "-d
> > debuglevel" helpful as it can help you pinpoint exactly what's going wrong.
> >
> > As another response alluded to, this is often due to smbclient not
> > supporting recent enough protocol versions; ratcheting up the debug level
> > should allow you to see the negotiation. If this is indeed the case, this
> > can be mitigated by upgrading smbclient (preferred) or allowing Win10 to
> > fall back to older versions.
>
> I'd still recommend that as a debugging method, but one other potential
> cause is that Win10 now disables remote access to the administrative
> shares by default.  They can be specifically re-enabled, but without
> doing so, would generate an access denied error no matter what
> credentials were used.

I tried the debug level at 3 (the highest recommended for mere
mortals) and found nothing educational.

I rebooted my workstation to CentOS 7 and tried smbclient and it, too,
failed, so I guess it's the remote access problem.  Does that mean
rsync won't do any better than smb or does rsync get past the remote
restrictions?

Any clues on how to enable remote access?  I'm not concerned about
security since we're behind a good firewall.

Cheers,
b...@bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God,
keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who
love him and keep his commandments.  Deuteronomy 7:9