Hmmm I am not so sure about that.. because it appears the time it takes
compress files also slows down the transfer of them. I was getting like
6Mb/s from a server on the same switch as the backup machine. One CPU
out of 16 was pegged at a 100% under compression. Surely it would be
trivial to replace gzip with pigz and bzip2 with pbzip2? On systems with
multiple cores you would see an immediate benefit and single core
instances would be unaffected.

Either way I was surprised to see one CPU pegged for so long and feel
that not optimising for resources is a bug in some way?

Thanks.