Hello,

despite numerous attempts, I was not able to configure BackupPC with the tar
protocol. The following situation:

  *   BackupPC 3.3.2 runs on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian Buster.
  *   The backups are supposed to save the data from a PLC controller.
  *   The controller can be reached with SSH and has tar (version 1.26)
installed.

The "TarClientCmd" is

> /usr/bin/sshpass -p "wago" $sshPath -q -x -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l
> admin $host env LC_ALL=C $tarPath -P -c -v -f - $shareName+ --totals

The backup aborts each time with the error log:

> Running: /usr/bin/sshpass -p "wago" /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -o
> StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l admin <HOSTIP> env LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/tar -P -c -v
> -f - /path/to/data --totals
> full backup started for directory /path/to/data
> Xfer PIDs are now 2743,2742
> Tar exited with error 1280 () status
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
> filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (Tar exited with error 1280 () status)
> Backup aborted (Tar exited with error 1280 () status)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
> one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

When I enter the resolved command on the command line (with the real IP and
path of course and a manual pipe at the end):

> /usr/bin/sshpass -p "wago" /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l
> admin <HOSTIP> env LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/tar -P -c -v -f - /path/to/data --totals
> | tar -xvf -

it works fine, even as user "backuppc" and in the directory
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/... (=> permissions!)

The error code 1280 does not seem to be known by Google. I'm not really
familiar with Perl, but the error is probably thrown in the file Xfer/Tar.pm in
line 183. "sysread" returns the number of successfully read bytes. In this case
it seems that only 0 bytes can be read from "pipeTar". The question is why? The
feeling is that I have already tried every possible command line option.

Thanks in advance, I am grateful for every tip!

Michael