Thanks Craig.
This problem was bothering me for the longest of times... but I always
assumed it was due to files changing or some other spurious factors...
But now that I am backing up against fixed snapshots, it has become
easier to one-by-one track down unexpected bugs & error messages...

The only remaining issue I see now is with SELinux extended attributes
:)

Plus, the challenges with hangs on bpc-rsyn 3.1.2 and 3.1.3-beta0

Craig Barratt via BackupPC-users wrote at about 13:08:31 -0700 on Monday, May
25, 2020: