--On Tuesday, June 02, 2020 4:21 PM -0500 Richard Shaw <hobbes1...@gmail.com> wrote:

The decision to not update EL 7 was intentional as there were some
non-backward compatible changes that necessitate manual involvement. I
didn't want to auto update the 10s of thousands of systems and deal will
the fall out. I do however provide 4.X for EL 6 & 7 via my COPR:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/hobbes1069/BackupPC/

The EL7 repo file has nearly 50,000 downloads.

I'm a happy user of the COPR package. I've got it deployed on both my office and home CentOS 7 servers where it backs up about a dozen Windows 10 and 7 PCs over rsyncd.

I use rsyncd to make the clients read-only, a safety measure to keep potentially hostile intruders from attacking them that way. Restores must be done using zip files, and I've done that a few times for users who accidentally deleted or corrupted a file.

Rather than update from v3, I bought a new external backup drive and just started fresh with v4, migrating over settings manually. The same thing I do when doing a major OS upgrade, buying a new server.