Hi Kris,

Indeed the object storage transformation has not been a hot topic for some time. I explored this some years ago and did some proof of concept testing. It requires a fairly different architecture:

https://molnix.com/proposal-new-open-source-backup-solution/

Essentially, the object storage to fuse approach is not workable as-is from a performance standpoint, at least in almost any production scenario I can imagine.

The compute node needs to independently do at least the checksum matching, storage buffering or tiering, and object storage rate limiting.

With the fuse approach you can get pretty close to that by putting only pool or cpool on fuse, and keeping pc locally, added with some configuration tweaks. However, the object storage needs to be asynchronous to the backup for it to really make sense.

I believe the efforts to create FS-to-object layers to transform existing software to cloud concepts without actual code changes quieted down exactly because of these types of issues.

Best regards,

Johan