We can't really help without more information.

Is any backup running already when you manually start a new one?

Does the backup end successfully?  Specifically, what messages are near the
end of the XferLOG file?

Please tell us what's in the host LOG file and the BackupPC server LOG file
around the time you see the issue.

Craig