This is normal.  In 4.x just an attrib file captures all the information
about which files are in that directory, with all their metadata (size,
modes, links, xattrs etc).  As you note, the file is actually empty and all
that matters is the md5 digest in its name. That refers to the actual
attribute file in the pool.  This setup avoids using any hardlinks to
represent duplicate files.

You can print the contents of the attrib file with BackupPC_attribPrint.
That should show all the files and their metadata in that
directory (assuming the backup is filled; if not the attrib file just
includes files that are different from the next backup).

Craig