David,

For doing offsite backups weekly we have 2 synology drive arrays that we
> rotate between 2 buildings.  If i did some kinda of rsync of
> /backup/astrobackup to offsite1:/backup/astrobackup would that make our
> data be recoverable in case of disaster?

Yes - you should rsync that entire directory tree, including cpool.  Also
check if the BackupPC config is stored in /etc/BackupPC, rather than below
/backup/astrobackup (it's configurable in config.pl).  If so, you should
copy that too.

Before we would just do a rsync -aruX of each backed up host to the offsite
> drive, but with the attrib and pool coming into the mix i'm not sure thats
> enough without copying the entire directory

That would have worked correctly with BackupPC v3, since it used hardlinks
to populate each backup's contents.  But in v4, as you note, there aren't
hardlinks and attrib files are used to reference cpool files; all the file
contents are in cpool and  only the metadata is stored below each backup.

Craig