On Tue, 2021-02-02 at 17:09 +0000, Arnar Þórarinsson wrote:
> Hello all,
> I‘m a new user of BackupPC with some questions (moving away from Amanda).
> OS: CentOS 8.3
> BackupPC version 4.4.0
>
> I followed the guide on
> https://kifarunix.com/install-and-configure-backuppc-on-centos-8/
> and all looks good but…
> I don‘t like using the root user on the client side for backups, never allow
> root to login via ssh.
> So how do I generate ssh keys for the backuppc user on the server ? The user
> backuppc does not own the /var/lib/BackupPC dir so it can‘t generate the keys.

Hello!

Something's fishy there, I followed the same guide recently (although for
Ubuntu) and for me /var/lib/backuppc is owned by backuppc.

Looking at the Backuppc-Ubuntu guide there is a step adding a backuppc user
and setting a homedir as /var/lib/backuppc.
https://kifarunix.com/install-and-setup-backuppc-server-on-ubuntu-20-04/

Maybe the guide for CentOS needs to be tweaked a bit?
Otherwise, why not just chown the folder to the right permissions?

--

Kind regards,
Sorin Srbu

Find my OpenPGP public key here: