Hi all,

First posting. I have been running BackupPC on a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS file
server for about 18 months with almost no problems

I'm using Version 3.3.2 included in the Ubuntu distro.  I hadn't updated
since my Linux knowledge is not great and I didn't feel confident to carry
out the various steps of the updates. This is used to backup a Window 10 PC
usinig smb and a C$ share out of which I was selecting just a number of
folders plus complete 'user' trees e.g. /users/xxxx/* and /users/yyyy/*

I was accustomed to seeing some xfer errors where some folders were denied
due to lack of permissions but these did not result in fatal errors e.g.
"/users/xxxx/My Documents" or "/users/yyyy/Start Menu"   - known windows
Junction Point folders.

However, around mid-November 2021 my backups would regularly fail, although
would produce a partial backup.

Looking at the error log I noticed the fatal error of the form -

Got fatal error during xfer (tar:814  do_list failed on
Users\Audrey\Downloads\* (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED))

Backup aborted (tar:814  do_list failed on Users\Audrey\Downloads\*
(NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED))

Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
one (got 59 and 0 files versus 59)

I've looked around all the backuppc documentation I can find and searched on
the web but cannot find any help regarding tar:814 or the do_list.

I'm confused since the log often shows Got fatal error during xfer (tar:814
do_list failed on Users\Audrey\Downloads\* (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED))

Backup aborted (tar:814  do_list failed on Users\Audrey\Downloads\*
(NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED))

Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
one (got 59 and 0 files versus 59)

The log often shows tarCreate entries showing 0 errors and various file
count statistics.

I'm afraid I just don't know enough to work out why the NT_ACCESS_DENIED is
now a fatal error when I'm pretty sure it wasn't before - even on the
Windows Junction Points which I understand would log an Access denied. I
would have thought that tar would just pass over them and just not include
them in the archive.

>From various web postings I know there are a good number of folk using
backuppc to backup Windows 10 PC's to a Linux  Server  - Has anyone else
seen this behaviour?

- If you are backing up Users folders, what do you do about the 'Junction
Point' folder names?

- Anyone know what tar:814 actually means?

- An explanation of how backuppc works would be really welcome (help other
I'm sure) insomuch as what does it do first - i.e. does it copy all the
folders/files to the Linux box as a Tar archive before then extracting the
files from the archive to determine if pooling etc is required. Is this the
part where my fatal error is being thrown.

Hoping someone can kindly point me in a better direction and thanks in
anticipation.

If providing any logs files etc would be more useful - please indicate which
logs I should find and post and I will try to do that.

Thanks. Regards

PeterG