In the directory where config.pl lives, there should be a pc/ subdirectory.  The per-host config files go in that subdirectory. (Note that, on debian, pc/ is a symlink back to the same directory, so the global config.pl and the per-host configs are all in the same place.)

The per-host config files are named [host].pl and don't exist until you create them, which is why you can't find it.

You should also be able to manage them through the web interface by using the "Edit Config" sidebar option on the individual host's detail page, but I've only ever used that to view per-host customizations, not to change anything, so I don't know if there are any gotchas to watch out for.