Hi there,

On Tue, 8 Mar 2022, ralph strebbing wrote:

what we're trying to do is get the ACLs working from the Archive
host. It is correctly exporting the tar.gz files, but when I extract
them onto my PC, the files have lost their ownership/group ...

It isn't clear to me exactly what you're doing here, but I thought it
might be worth a mention that if you back up files from Linux box A
and restore them to Linux box B you need to be a bit careful about the
owner and group IDs.  This is because (even if you have exactly the
same sets of user and group *names* on the two machines) unless you've
been very careful to keep them in sync there's no guarantee that the
user and group *names* are associated with the same *numeric* IDs on
each machine.  Assuming that the IDs having the same relationship on
different machines is IMHO in most circumstances asking for trouble.

If that's not the sort of thing you're doing, or you have it all under
control, please forgive the intrusion. :)

--

73,
Ged.