I am running BackupPC 3.3.1-4ubuntu1 (from Ubuntu 18.04).

I have noticed a problem when restoring from backup via the web UI.

If you run a full backup via rsync and there are two files that are hardlinked, then in the backup the first one is saved as 'pool' and the other is created as a 'hardlink'.

If you then remove the first file (the one classed as 'pool') and run an incremental backup, it will remove the file but leave the second file as the hardlink reference to the file that no longer exists.

This results in restore failing as it cannot file the file anymore.

At the next full backup BackupPC detects this as it "cannot read the digests" for these broken links and recopies the file and as 'pool', and then it is normal again.

Please advise if there is a fix in a later version, or whether disabling hardlinks in rsync is a safer option to ensure a complete backup.

Many thanks