Hi I use backuppc to backup a few virtual machines, in my case I use a snapshot feature from lvm to create a snaps and delete the snap after the backup.

$Conf{DumpPostUserCmd} = '/usr/bin/sudo /programas/scripts/backup_discos/borra_snap.sh'; $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = '/usr/bin/sudo /programas/scripts/backup_discos/crea_snap.sh';

I use sudo to enable backuppc use the script using root

root@servidor:/etc/BackupPC/pc# cat /programas/scripts/backup_discos/crea_snap.sh
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/lvcreate --size 4000m  --snapshot --name BackupM /dev/vgdatos/lvdatos
check_ok=$?
if [ $check_ok != 0 ]; then
        exit 2
fi
/bin/mount /datos/SnapshotM
check_ok=$?
if [ $check_ok != 0 ]; then
        exit 2
fi
exit 0

Works very well with virtual machines.

I recomend reboot the virtual machines one at week at least to verify for this machine was able to start without problems and not making any backup broken.

If recover the backup  (a few times this happend) the machine start again on virtualbox without no problem.

Regards!