On Monday 29 March 2010 18:01:56 Henrik Johansen wrote:
> On 03/29/10 05:08 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >>
> >> I hope you'll post a full writeup somewhere.  :)
> >
> > Oh, I hope not.  I am believe that anything more than about 10 devices is
> > the wrong way to configure Bacula, and with 300+ there is very little
> > chance that it will work.
>
> Would you care to explain why this will not work with Bacula ?

Assuming you are writing to all of them, or a large number at the same time,
there are a number of possible problems:

- you may severely fragment your harddisk.
- you will have 300 open file descriptors, which is too many on most systems
especially Solaris systems.
- you will have 300 device descriptors open in Bacula, which could consume a
substantial amount of memory, overhead, and lock usage.
- depending on what sort of Pools you have defined, you may start running into
practical limits for Bacula for the number of simultaneous volumes you are
using -- anything more than about 20 would concern me.
- pruning and Volume management within Bacula may become more difficult due to
the large number of Volumes involved.
- you may be starting and stopping the SD often to do device management. This
could disrupt operations, and we are not planning to add code to the SD to
reload its conf file while running.

The sum of the above *may* not be important.  However, any one of them *could*
be a real "killer".   If you are only running a small number of concurrent
jobs, some of the things I mention above may have a much smaller impact than
I am imagining.

Best regards,

Kern