Arno Lehmann wrote:

Brennon Church wrote:

Hello all,

Is there a compatibility issue with gzip data between Windows and Linux
clients?  I recently tried to restore a file from a backup of a Windows
box to a Linux box, and got the following error:

 From the manual, section FileSet configuration:

portable=yes|no
If set to yes (default is no), the Bacula File daemon will backup Win32 files in a portable format, but not all Win32 file attributes will be saved and restored. By default, this option is set to no, which means that on Win32 systems, the data will be backed up using Windows API calls and on WinNT/2K/XP, all the security and ownership attributes will be properly backed up (and restored). However this format is not portable to other systems - e.g. Unix, Win95/98/Me. When backing up Unix systems, this option is ignored, and unless you have a specific need to have portable backups, we recommend accept the default (no) so that the maximum information concerning your files is saved.

Is there some interest in addressing this ? I have recollections of mucking around with BackupRead/BackupWrite stream format for recovering data from a corrupted backup, and it seems to me that there is actually documentation somewhere. I got my data out of the stream for sure, but I cannot remember if it was Windows NT 3.51 or early Windows NT 4.

Davide Bolcioni