Dan Langille wrote:
On 2 May 2005 at 7:17, Lars Köller wrote:

----------

On 1 May 2005 at 21:52, dave wrote:

    I've got a working bacula install running on a FreeBSD 5.3
    system with a
mysql database. My problem is on boot bacula starts before mysql,
generating an error, the director tries to access mysql, which
doesn't happen. Once the system is booted i manually start bacula
and all is good. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks. Dave.

Yes.  Solve the problem with this:

   cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
   mv bacula.sh z-bacula.sh

Actually, I think we should put this into the port.

Any files in that directly, which are +x and end with .sh will be
run, in alphabetically ar startup.

Lars:  I don't know of any other way to achieve this.  Do you?

That's the weekness of the "old" BSD startup concept. At home I always
move the scripts to something like:

  400.mysql.sh
  600.bacula.sh
  700.httpd.sh
  800.imapd.sh

Or something similar. So I have to look into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
after each new install or portupgrade .... :-(

The problem for the port ist not that I have to implement and test an
upgrade procedure for renaming bacula.sh to z-bacule.sh ....

Just do a ${MV}.

I will have a look at it, but it's really an ugly workaround!

It's the best we have.

FreeBSD 5.x includes the next gen RC scripts which support ordering via the REQUIRE directive in the script.  Prior to 5, though, you have to resort to the ugliness.  You could probably make the port use rc.ng on 5.x and above, though.  So it'd be limited ugliness with hope for the future.  :)

Brian