On Tuesday 03 May 2005 19:01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create Bacula Rescue CD.  I installed the following RPM's on
> my server,
>
> bacula-rescue-1.36.3-1
> bacula-client-1.36.3-1
>
> and the creation of the bootcd.iso seemed to go fine with the 'make all'
> since I was able to successful boot from the image.
>
> The problem I am having is that at the login prompt, I am unable to log in.
>  When I try to log in as root with the valid login, the login prompt just
> re-appears.  If I try to use a 'invalid' passwd, I get a "password
> incorrect' message.  Any ideas?  Shadow passwd's are being used and the
> kernel is 2.4.21-27.0.4.ELsmp.

One other user mentioned the same thing but on a Mandrake system, if I
remember right. Unfortunately, I never had such problems, and I've now moved
up to FC3 so everything is different.

The Bacula rescue disk IMO is something really valuable, but it has been an
enormous pain for me because of such reports and the change in boot sequence
between 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  I still have not been able to get the rescue
disk working on 2.6.

I'm now looking at a number of different LiveCDs, some of which allow users to
add their own data files.  This takes an enormous amount of time researching,
but it would be an ideal solution for me -- I could then leave the boot
details to others and concentrate on the Bacula rescue part :-)

In an off chance, you might try commenting out (or deleting) the line that
reads

exec >/dev/console </dev/console 2>&1

in rescue/linux/cdrom/roottree/linuxrc

Kern