Hello Russell,

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 19:22, Russell Howe wrote:
> It was suggested a while ago when I asked about scheduling pruning jobs,
> that I read up on Admin jobs and report how I do.
>
> Well, here is the first good sign - it only took a few weeks :)
>
> My plan is to only prune at weekends, on a schedule, since pruning is
> about a 5 hour task each day if done automatically, and Bacula always
> seems to want to prune at inconvenient times (like when I want to view
> status :).
>
> Once I have this tuned to how I want it, I'll post my configuration, as
> I think it will be useful to quite a few people.

If this does not work or needs some tweaking, and you can let me know
relatively soon (i.e. in the next 2-3 weeks) I can probably fix it for
version 1.37.x

> Basically, we back up several machines (all Windows at the moment) to a
> pair of tapes. Every backup is a full backup, and we take the tapes home
> each night. At the end of the week we use a separate tape pool, and
> these tapes are retained for a month. At the start of the month, we use
> a separate pool and these tapes are retained for as long as possible.
> The backups are carefully ordered so that they back up the most
> important stuff first, and minimise the number of concurrent jobs from
> any one file daemon. Currently I don't do disk spooling - I think the
> disks are kept busy enough with the catalog, but I'll have to try it at
> some point.
>
> The database gets pruned at the weekend.
>
> You'll notice I also changed the subject line for bacula emails from the
> default, so that it includes the job name. This makes it much clearer
> what you're being emailed about IMHO.
>
> Something I would quite like is to remove the tie that I currently have
> between job (and therefore pool) and storage.

This is not possible in 1.36.x, but is in 1.37.x.  The problem is that not
many users have tested it, so there will most likely not work correctly until
either I find a tester or we've made a few 1.38.x releases.

> We have two identical drives. It shouldn't really matter which drive has
> which of the two tapes which are valid for that night's backup, as long
> as they're both there. It would be nice if Bacula could 'hunt' through
> all the storage devices (these are set up with Always Open = no) looking
> for an appendable or recycled tape. That's a minor concern though, and
> we had the same restriction when using ARCServe.
>
> I have to admit that I haven't even tried to get this to work, so maybe
> it just does (although from what I recall of the manual, it probably
> doesn't).

1.36.x will look only at one drive.  Version 1.37.20 as currently coded will
look for the first free drive or the first drive which contains a sutiable
volume.  This is not exactly what you have requested, and if you are willing
to test 1.37.20, which I am using in production mode here, perhaps we can
figure out a way to make it work the way you want.

If you decide to try 1.37.20, contact me first, and please copy the
bacula-devel list.  There are a lot of new features that are not yet
documented ...

> bacula-dir.conf is 818 lines and growing. All for 3 servers and the
> bacula files themselves :)

Kern

  (">
  /\