On Friday 03 June 2005 22:51, Mike Reinehr wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 03:39 pm, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> > Can I rename a disk volume somehow?  i figured out how I want to label
> > the volumes now but it was wrong yesterday.  The backups were good, but
> > the names are not what I want.  I have auto labeling so I assume that
> > when they expirre they will just get deleted but can I fix them before
> > that?  One of them does not expire for a month!
> >
> > Misty
>
> Misty,
>
> I think that the only way to do what you wish is to purge the volume from
> the database. Rename (mv) the actual disk volume and then run bscan to
> recreate the database entry with the new name.
>
> Alternatively, if you are handy with SQL you might just be able to update
> the volume records in the database directly and then rename the actual disk
> volume.

Unfortunately, neither of those good ideas will help.  The Volume name is
embedded in the Bacula Volume label record on the medium so that Bacula can
find out what the Volume name really is.  To change it, you would need to
change the Volume data, which is not something I recommend. All records are
contained in blocks, and all blocks are checksummed, so it would be a real
pain to try to change a Volume name ...

Doing a bcopy might work, but it is largely untested. However, bcopy does not
update the catalog, so your first suggestion might be valid after a bcopy.
If anyone tries it, please let me know ...

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V