On Monday 06 June 2005 15:58, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >> Like me, for instance. For some reason(*) a couple of my personal
> >> domains feature quite frequently in spam forgeries.

> >> No, what 99.9% of mailers do is reject at SMTP transaction stage.
> >> Accept-then-bounce is called outscatter and is rapidly becoming socially
> >> unacceptable, with technical means (ie, blacklisting) being used to give
> >> the diaapproval some teeth.
> >
> > I don't see the difference, unless I am mistaken, in both cases the
> > message goes back to the same place.
>
> The difference is that the reject/failure message is sent by the SMTP
> _ORIGIN_ host, not the receiving one.

Oh that is interesting. I had never thought about it much, but it is rather
obvious now that you point out the difference.

However, this brings up an interesting point. One thing that annoys me is
sites that receive email forged with my address. They then decide that the
email is not valid (some content they filter or something like that), and
they then send me an email (i.e. they are in a sense mirroring their own
received spam to me).

There are two things that annoy me: 1. they often strip the headers so I
cannot even know how is forging my email address. 2. they bounce the mail to
me even though my IP address is not the same as the originating address.

My question is: is this kind of email consider "outscatter" ?

> In the case of spam forgeries, 99.999% of the SMTP originators are zombie
> SMTP clients, not servers, so no bounce is generated.
>

> FWIW, Spamcop now treats outscatter reject notices for spam forgeries as
> spam from the outscatter system, so do a number of other spam filtering
> systems and sites - including AOL and Hotmail.

OK, I get the idea.

I guess we may have to occasionally bit bucket emails.  For the most part,
Russell Howe will be manually filtering them -- thanks Russell.

> >> (*) Those who know me, know how much I've annoyed spammers and spam
> >>      supporting networks over the last 15 years....
> >
> > I'm not sure if you are talking about actively annoying spammers.
>
> I'm sure running a blacklist counts as actively annoying 'em.

I'm impressed.  Is it public?  If so please send me the dnsbl address.

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V