Hello,

Unfortunately, this is typical Microsoft "crap".  I generally don't like to
use words like that. Microsoft permits building really long paths, but the
file creation code doesn't accept such long paths, so the only choice is to
"cd" into the directory and create the files with a relative path rather than
the absolute path.

Anyway, Bacula does not do that (cd into the directory and use relative
paths), and I've been wondering when someone would hit the limits.  Bacula is
able to create the directories, because they must be created one at a time by
splitting the path into each of its components.

As for the solution, I do not know.  smbfs does not seem to me to be a
particularly good way to go because it does not (to my knowledge) preserve
all the Microsoft information.

My suggestions:
- If you are using the "portable" option, turn it off and see if that works
(pretty unlikely).
- Try using Samba, but you are very likely to run into the same problem.
- Use some backup program such as NTBACKUP to back those files up locally to
disk, then backup the NTBACKUP disk file with Bacula (not very satisfactory,
but it could work).
- Make sure to bring this issue up in September when I request input for
features in the next Bacula version.
- I'll take a look at the code, perhaps I could put a "gross kludge" to make
it work by detecting the error, doing a cd and then retrying the create.

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 09:44, Stefan Armbruster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on one of our Windows servers there are pretty long directory names in a
> pretty deep nested structure. When Bacula FD tries to backup this
> structure, I got a lot of warnings like this:
>
> 11-Jun 01:50 <hostname>:      Could not stat d:/<a long deeply nested
> path>/<longfilename>: ERR=Der Dateiname oder die Erweiterung ist zu lang.
>
> Translated to English this message says "the filename or the extension is
> too long". The backup protocol email says "Backup OK".
>
> When I examine the catalog, it seems like these files are backed up
> correctly. I tried to restore these, an got an "Backup ERROR" in the email.
> The detailed message looks like:
> 14-Jun 14:16 <hostname>: Restore-Job.2005-06-14_14.02.30 Error: ..
> \findlib\../../findlib/create_file.c:182 Could not create d:/<a long
> path>/<longfilename>: ERR=Der Dateiname oder die Erweiterung ist zu lang.
>
> The restore job reconstructs the path but not the files itself.
>
> What is the recommended way to deal with this? Please don't recommend to
> shorten the path names, since the management has a fixed schema how to name
> paths and files, and they won't change this :-(
> Should I skip the windows fd and use smbfs to mount the windows drive?
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Kern

  (">