On Friday 24 June 2005 18:28, Karl Cunningham wrote:
> --On Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:29 PM +0200 Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Yup -- and work, which is hard when it is 30+ degrees. :-)
>
> Perhaps an appreciative user base could take up a collection to install air
> conditioning at your place for such warm days ;-)

Yes, that would have saved me a lot of agravation today -- since it was even
hotter, I decided that since I couldn't do anything really useful like
programming, I would upgrade my server.  No big deal upgrade from RHEL 3 to
FC3. Since I've been running FC3 for many months, it would be a snap.  Yes,
it was a snap, with all the minor little problems (bad CD, Bacula proved
useful, ...) no big deal. I had previously tested or run all the software on
at least one or two other machines with one minor exception:  !!! imap !!!

It seems that FC3 doesn't have good old imap; it only has cyrus-imap, which
appears to be a very good program mind you, but for it is really designed
(complex enough) for a server with 2,000+ users rather than one like I have
with 2 users.  Converting from Unix mail to Cyrus mail is no little matter --
I don't know what Fedora was thinking of when they dropped good old imap.

After struggling with cyrus-imap and sasl-xxx for quite some time, I finally
realized that it would take me a week to convert if for no other reason than
cyrus-imap doesn't like .forward files or user procmail, which naturally, I
use.

So, rather than be without email for a week in this heat, I downloaded an
ancient rpm source of good old imap, rebuilt it on a system where it never
was intended to run (the new compiler didn't like the old code).  5 minutes
after installing it, I had my mail back :-)   Now I can take my time to learn
a bit about cyrus-imap before attempting to use it again (if ever).

If I had had airconditioning I never would have been foolish enough to attempt
the upgrade ...

I have to say that aircondition would really be quite an extravagant affair
here simply because there is normally only about a week of weather hot enough
to use it per year :-)

Kern

  (">
  /\