Yes, the 1.36.3 ebuild currently in portage runs a catalog version check to
see that your catalog db version is correct.  This version number is
independent of your db server version (mysql, postgresql, sqlite) and is
described in the bacula manual online.

The catalog db version checking is likely to be removed from these ebuilds
in the future since the 1.36.3-r1 ebuild was committed blindly and removed a
lot of things including this version check.  It is arguable whether the
catalog version check belongs in the ebuild, so I won't go into it here, but
I'm hoping to get the bacula ebuilds cleaned up some more once the
maintainership change is made and if I can keep developers from "fixing"
ebuilds blindly like that.

While I'm on the subject of Bacula and Gentoo, I don't know if I'll have
time to get the current development versions into portage before Kern
releases 1.38, and if that turns out to be the case then I will probably
just try to get 1.38 pushed into portage ASAP and skip 1.37 unless any
objections to this are noted.

To answer your question about the second server, if you want to have two
different directors with different catalogs and different versions of both
the director and the catalog, you can simply create a second catalog
database on your database server.  For example, database name "bacula-1.34"
for the 1.34 director, and database name "bacula-1.36" for the 1.36 director
and then configure the directors to access their respective databases.

If you want both directors to use the same catalog then you will need to
upgrade the 1.34 director to 1.36 and perform the catalog version upgrade on
it as well (this is documented in the online manual).

Thanks,
Chris