Hi Phil,

I'm not sure I see what you're after here.  In general, it would be a
bad idea -- and increase the amount of data to back up -- to make a
differential against anything BUT the latest full backup.  I utterly
fail to see how intentionally running a differential against an older
Full backup would (even potentially) reduce data loss.  If you're going
to make a newer Full backup and then pretend you didn't, why make the
newer Full?

You would also then need to be able to tell Bacula to restore the older
Full backup instead of the more recent one, and there'd be a lot of
other ramifications ....  this is a can of worms I don't think you
really want to get into.

Okay, i'll try to explain my idea again:

I have to primary goals:

G1: Protect data against burn down of the autochanger location
G2: Be able to restore any data anytime without inserting tapes into the autochanger

I dont think there are many options for G1, you have to remove the tapes
from the location and put there somewhere else.

Now if it comes to G2 i am getting into trouble, because if i removed the tapes of the latest fullbackup from the autochanger to fullfull G1, i cannot restore
the data without inserting the tapes again.

With my scheme it would be possible to fullfill both G1 and G2:

1. Make fullbackup (A)
2. Differential Backups (B)
3. Next fullbackup (C)

C now has to be removed form the site to fullfull G1

4. Differential Backups against A

If i could make differential backups against A, which would,
as you said, increase the amount of data to backup, i could
restore any data anytime without inserting the latest Fullbackup,
because the older fullbackup plus the latest differentials hold
all the data needed, right ?

And if the site burns down, i would still have the fullbackup C.
With my current scheme, which is just:

1. Fullbackup (A)
2. Differential
3. Fullbackup (B), remove A from changer
4. Diffenrential

i would of course loose more data, because all i had in case
of a burndown would be fullbackup A.

Thats my idea. If there is any other way to accomplish G1 and G2
i would _love_ to hear about it...

Thanks,
Philipp