On Friday 19 August 2005 02:04, Chris Lee wrote:
> I agree with Jesse that this is almost a packaging issue.  However, I do
> think that certain files should be moved.
>
> Specifically:
> All daemons should go in "$(sbindir)".
> The sd tools, bconsole, and any other gui console or monitoring program
> should go in "$(bindir)".
> The bsmtp tool, the mtx-changer script, and any future tools which would be
> run by bacula but not by the user should go in "$(libexecdir)/bacula".
> All of the extra scripts such as updatedb/* and the db creation scripts
> should go in "$(datadir)/bacula" or at least "$(sysconfdir)/bacula/scripts"
> or something where they don't clutter the top-level config directory so
> much.

This is a bit more than a "packaging" issue.  It is a basic Bacula Makefile
issue.  Thanks for detailing this. I'll wait for more comments and think
about this some more.

> I'm not trying to be a FHS nazi here, but currently /etc/bacula gets kind
> of cluttered without significant packaging modifications.  I also think
> that some of the extra scripts like the various db
> creation/deletion/mangling series should be installed by default.  It's not
> a lot of work from a packaging point of view, but why write 'cp -p
> <path>/updatedb /etc/bacula/' or simliar into the distro end when it's
> likely that a user may need these scripts but the package manager deleted
> the source tree after installation?

All the scripts are by default installed by the Makefiles. Perhaps some
packages exclude them.  The scripts in updatedb are not installed by default
because they could confuse the normal user, and are useful *only* if you are
upgrading multiple version numbers instead of one version to the next.

> Switching gears for a moment...
> Jesse also brought up another subject which has occurred to me as well.
> For the daemons I completely agree with keeping the config files in
> /etc/bacula but for console and gui programs it makes sense to me that
> these programs should look for config files in a hierarchial fashion the
> way other user programs do: look for the file specified with by -c, then
> "${HOME}/.bacula/bconsole.conf". then "$(sysconfdir)/bacula/bconsole.conf".

I am not likely to change my point of view on this, which is that no path
should be compiled into the program.  You can solve the problem by creating a
script with a different name that sticks the appropriate location.   Even
more unlikely would be that I make Bacula search for the conf file. That
would create a sysadmin's nightmare.

If you *absolutely* must have bconsole start as bconsole, do the following:

   mv bconsole bconsole.bin
   echo "#!/bin/sh" >bconsole
   echo "$PWD/bconsole.bin -c /your-favorite-location/bconsole.conf" \
     >>bconsole
   chmod 700 bconsole

This is really pretty trivial and makes the sysadmin aware of what he is doing
as well as keeps the binary clean of paths that change during ./configure

> Having a "${HOME}/.bacula/" might seem unnecessary at this point, but I've
> also been thinking that some operators might like to tweak their own
> console config especially if the console program(s) ever implement certain
> config options which have been mentioned before such as "Autodisplay = on"
> or having multiple console levels in the same config file and maybe
> switching between them within the console.  Plus, if any of the gui
> projects ever become sophisticated enough to need a complicated set of
> options stored in their config, this would be a good place for them if an
> operator/admin wanted to change gui options without affecting the default
> (/etc/bacula) gui options.

If I am not mistaken, bconsole or gnome-console has some form of rc file where
these can be put.

> I think that about covers my 2cts on the matter. ;-)
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Kern

  (">