Hello David,

On Monday 22 August 2005 22:24, you wrote:
> > 2. I've looked into the idea of creating a Bacula Foundation,
> > and if done here in Switzerland where I live, it will cost
> > about $2000-3000 to create and $2000-3000 per year for
> > administrative fees (accounting, audit, ...) to run.
> > At this point, this is not feasible.
>
> If you wouldn't object to creating the foundation under US law, the
> necessary paperwork is much less expensive here. Creating a closed
> non-profit corporation in Delaware (the most corporation-friendly location
> in the US) is US $220, and the necessary accounting and non-profit filing
> stuff is about another $500 or so. I've done the paperwork for several
> other small non-profits, so we could discuss this offline in more detail.

I *really* appreciate your kind offer, but I am very reluctant to create a
Bacula entity in the US, and more reluctant to be legally responsible for an
entity in the US, where an error or omission on a tax declaration is
punishable by up to 5 years in prison and/or a $500,000 fine.  In addition,
some Europeans may object to the US government having information on funds
transfers to them.

Switzerland is expensive, and worse the bylaws would have to be in French,
which is no problem for me, but not very good internationally. I previously
looked at one other international location that accepts English (not their
official language), but the cost was four times the Swiss cost primarily
because of the liability (SCO I imagine).

As a consequence, I would like to exhaust the possibilities in some other
English speaking countries before going to the US -- e.g. England, Malta,
Belize, Ireland, Isle of Mann, Gibraltar,  ...

My current thinking is to start funding using a PayPal account that I create
([EMAIL PROTECTED]). Once I get an idea of what kind of donations Bacula
will receive, deciding on a particular structure/location will be easier.

By the way, I have added a tier fee structure as suggested by one user to the
OpenSourceFunding document.  The fees step from $100 to $500 depending on the
gross revenues.

I've also added the donations to date that we have received for Landon's data
encryption project to the top of the Bacula site news page.  I really should
mention that Landon's project is really one requested by WingNET Internet,
who made a sizable donation and took the time to work out the details with
Landon, which I appreciate.

Kern

  (">
  /\