So, I did still have the original corrupted database in my root
directory, and went ahead and tried to run dbcheck on it.  This is what
I got:

Query failed: SELECT FilenameId,Name from Filename WHERE Name LIKE '%/':
ERR=database disk image is malformed

I got this for a good deal of the checks.  Oh, well.

-maria

Arno Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

Maria McKinley wrote:

Hi there,

My database (sqlite) got corrupted when it became too full for the
partition it was on.  I tried to compact it, but it seems it was too
late, I kept getting errors about duplicate file names.    So then I
tried to rebuild my database with bscan, but this also did not work.  It
seemed to work fine, but when I tried to restart bacula, I got duplicate
file names again.

You could have tried baculas own database correction program dbcheck first...

 No matter what I tried, I either got this message or
a version error for the database (shown below).  So then I decided to
just start from scratch, and wipe everything (just keeping a copy of my
config files).  So, after re-installing, this is the error message I get:

Starting Bacula Director: 30-Aug 12:46 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: Version
error for database "bacula". Wanted 8, got 0
30-Aug 12:46 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: Could not open database "bacula".
30-Aug 12:46 bacula-dir:  Fatal error: Version error for database
"bacula". Wanted 8, got 0
30-Aug 12:46 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf

You need to prepare the catalog using the supplied scripts, probably make_sqlite_tables.

Arno

This is the same bacula-dir.conf I was using before, and I can't see how
anything has changed in it to cause a problem, but I can't figure out
what to do with the database to get it working either.

I am running bacula 1.36.3-2 on debian.

thanks for your help,

maria

#
# Default Bacula Director Configuration file
#
#  The only thing that MUST be changed is to add one or more
#   file or directory names in the Include directive of the
#   FileSet resource.
#
#  For Bacula release 1.36.1 (26 November 2004) -- debian 3.1
#
#  You might also want to change the default email address
#   from root to your address.  See the "mail" and "operator"
#   directives in the Messages resource.
#

Director {                            # define myself
  Name = billie-dir
  DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/scripts/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run/bacula"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Password = "sde24dg329"         # Console password
  Messages = Daemon
}

# home and lab
Schedule {
  Name = "NightlySave"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st sat at 01:05
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th sat at 01:05
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=Daily sun-fri at 01:05
}

# This schedule does the catalog. It starts after all other jobs
Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Daily sun-sat at 1:15
}

# mail
Schedule {
  Name = "MailBackup"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th sat at 01:10
}

# miles - key directories for recovery
Schedule {
  Name = "SeverBackup"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st sat at 01:10
}

JobDefs {
  Name = "DefaultJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Full    Client = billie-fd
  FileSet = "Full Set"
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Weekly
  Priority = 10
  Storage = Exabyte
}
Job {
  Name = "NightlySave"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Pool = Daily
  Schedule = "NightlySave"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/NightlySave.bsr"
}

# Backup the catalog database (after the nightly save)
Job {
  Name = "BackupCatalog"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Full
  Client = billie-fd
  FileSet="Catalog"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  # This creates an ASCII copy of the catalog
  RunBeforeJob = "/etc/bacula/scripts/make_catalog_backup bacula bacula"
  # This deletes the copy of the catalog
  RunAfterJob  = "/etc/bacula/scripts/delete_catalog_backup"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/BackupCatalog.bsr"
  Priority = 11                   # run after main backup
}

Job {
  Name = "MailBackup"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Client = ella-fd
  Pool = Weekly
  Schedule = "MailBackup"
  FileSet = "Mail Set"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/ella.bsr"
}

Job {
  Name = "ServerBackup"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  Client = miles-fd
  ClientRunBeforeJob = "/root/createfile.sh"
  Pool = Monthly
  Schedule = "SeverBackup"
  FileSet = "Server Set"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/miles.bsr"
}

# Definition of file storage device
Storage {
  Name = Exabyte
  Address = billie
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "jkiuhk93"
  Device = Exabyte
  Media Type = VXA-2
}

# List of files to be backed up
FileSet {
  Name = "Full Set"
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
    }
    File = /home
    File = /lab
  }
}

# This is the backup of the catalog
FileSet {
  Name = "Catalog"
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
    }
    File = /var/lib/bacula/bacula.sql
  }
}

# List of files to be backed up
FileSet {
  Name = "Mail Set"
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
    }
    File = /var/cyrus/mail
  }
}

# List of files to be backed up
FileSet {
  Name = "Server Set"
  Include {
    Options {
      signature = MD5
    }
    File = /etc
    File = /usr/local
    File = /root/miles.selections
    File = /tftpboot/kernel
  }
}

# Standard Restore template, to be changed by Console program
Job {
  Name = "RestoreFiles"
  Type = Restore
Client=billie-fd FileSet="Full Set" Storage = Exabyte
  Pool = Daily
  Messages = Standard
  Where = /tmp/bacula-restores
}

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = billie-fd
  Address = billie
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "jkhksda8"          # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = ella-fd
  Address = 128.95.53.48
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "acxznjm98"          # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = miles-fd
  Address = 128.95.53.9
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "iupqihy32"          # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

Pool {
  Name = Daily
  Pool Type = Backup
  AutoPrune = yes
  VolumeRetention = 10d   # recycle in 10 days
  Maximum Volumes = 10
  Recycle = yes
}

Pool {
  Name = Weekly
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 2 # mail backup and home/lab
  Pool Type = Backup
  AutoPrune = yes
  VolumeRetention = 25d  # recycle in 30 days (default)
  Recycle = yes
}

Pool {
  Name = Monthly
# I think this may have been screwing things up, so it used too many tapes
  #Maximum Volume Jobs = 2 # server backup and home/lab
  Pool Type = Backup
  AutoPrune = yes
  VolumeRetention = 365d  # recycle in 1 year
  Recycle = yes
}

# Definiton of file storage device
Storage {
  Name = Exabyte
# Do not use "localhost" here Address = billie # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = ""
  Device = Exabyte
  Media Type = VXA-2
}

# Generic catalog service
Catalog {
  Name = MyCatalog
  dbname = bacula;  password = "@db_pswd@"
}

# Reasonable message delivery -- send most everything to email address
#  and to the console
Messages {
  Name = Standard
#
# NOTE! If you send to two email or more email addresses, you will need
#  to replace the %r in the from field (-f part) with a single valid
#  email address in both the mailcommand and the operatorcommand.
#
mailcommand = "/usr/lib/bacula/bsmtp -h ella.shadlen.org -f \"\(Bacula\) %r\" -s \"Bacula: %t %e of %c %l\" %r" operatorcommand = "/usr/lib/bacula/bsmtp -h ella.shadlen.org -f \"\(Bacula\) %r\" -s \"Bacula: Intervention needed for %j\" %r" mail = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = all, !skipped operator = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = mount
  console = all, !skipped, !saved
#
# WARNING! the following will create a file that you must cycle from
#          time to time as it will grow indefinitely. However, it will
#          also keep all your messages if they scroll off the console.
#
  append = "/var/lib/bacula/log" = all, !skipped
}

#
# Message delivery for daemon messages (no job).
Messages {
  Name = Daemon
mailcommand = "/usr/lib/bacula/bsmtp -h ella.shadlen.org -f \"\(Bacula\) %r\" -s \"Bacula daemon message\" %r" mail = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = all, !skipped console = all, !skipped, !saved
  append = "/var/lib/bacula/log" = all, !skipped
}

#
# Restricted console used by tray-monitor to get the status of the director
#
Console {
  Name = billie-mon
  Password = ""