Had an interesting thing happen.

Our firewall, for whatever reason, drops connections at 300sec. of inactivity
by default.

I'd been backing up a few hosts outside our firewall, and once I started using
the disk spool, they were getting 'hung'.

What happened was such : once the disk file started spooling to tape, the
Client and the StorageD stopped talking with each other - if it took more than
300 seconds, our firewall droped that connection. The spooling finished, but
nothing ever reported back.

The client thought the job was done, the StorageD thought the job was done, a
bscan on the tape revealed everything was on the tape. Only the Director
thought the job was still running, and it took several minutes after issuing a
'cancel' for it to clear out the job (giving it an error status, even though it
all worked)

I'd be curious to see if taking a client off-line while the disk-to-tape
spooling was going on would result in the same behavior. You've already got the
data, and it went to tape OK - it shouldn't result in an error if you can't
talk to the Client anymore, I'd think?

Mark