On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Russell Howe wrote:

I don't understand why you *MUST* use alternate sets of 5 tapes each
week...

People who "don't understand" this, don't use magazine based loaders.

Changing out individual tapes every day or every other day defeats the whole purpose of their existance

The whole idea of such devices is you load up enough tapes to do the job once a week/month/whatever and then change out the entire magazine when on a scheduled basis, or if it fills up before then.

This reduces tape changing to a trained monkey job.

Right now I periodically run "list media pool" and simply load the magazines with all tapes in expired/recycle/append status, everything else goes into the data safe. I keep intending to turn this into a sql cronjob to output mail along the lines of "these tapes should be in the changer"