Hi,

On 26.09.2005 19:00, Joe Brunner wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to prepare a generic, fully-automated bare-bones recovery process using a Knoppix CD with Bacula. I'm having problems getting the file daemon to communicate with the storage daemon on our backup server when the file daemon is backgrounded. When I run the file daemon in the foreground, using the same flags and configuration file as when run in the background, there are no communication errors and the restore completes successfully.

The backup server is running Debian and the machine to be restored is booting off of a Knoppix CD. All machines are running Bacula versions 1.36.2. I have tried starting the file daemon in the background via the init scripts and from the command line. When started in the background, I can connect to the file daemon using bconsole and get a status. However, restore operations always fail unless the file daemon is run in the foreground.

The specific error I get when running the backgrounded file daemon is:

26-Sep 16:09 server-dir: Start Restore Job RestoreFiles.2005-09-26_16.09.44
26-Sep 16:09 server-dir: RestoreFiles.2005-09-26_16.09.44 Warning: bnet.c:769 Could not connect to File daemon on client:9102. ERR=Connection refused

snip.

Interesting.

I'd try the following:
Start the FD in non-foreground mode.
Attach an strace to it.
Start a restore.
See what happens.

Now, I *guess* that your problems might come from a problem with the FD accessing STDIN, -OUT or -ERR. Note that I don't know if it does, it's just the first reason I thought about why it wouldn't work in background and work in the foreground.

If I'm right, the next step would be running it with an '&' but in foreground mode, and then starting it to go into background but redirecting the standard files descriptors. Any of these 'tricks' should work if I guessed right.

Once you found the reason for that behaviour - or didn't, but have lots more details - you might want to a) upgrade, b) report a bug at bugs.bacula.org, or c) post another mail here...

Hope you get this solved,

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]