On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Oliver Koch wrote:

I have a problem with incremental backups. During an incremental backup
many files a backuped again although they haven't been changed since the
last full backup. Most of the backuped files are located under /home
which is mounted with the following mount options:

Is their inode data changing? (ctime vs mtime)

I had similar problems and found that a script was running which blindly ran chmod -R and chown -R down entire directory trees. After replacing it with a suitably crafted 'find' commmand the amount backed up incrementally dropped by 95%...

Does that matter? Are there other reasons which can cause an incremental
backup of a file or directory although there haven't been any changes?

Any form of inode change will do it in addition to content change.