Hi !

Yu Safin wrote:
One of my departments is using Oracle and via RMAN they backup to Netbackup.
How can I accomplish the same using Bacula instead of RMAN?
Is anybody backing up Oracle using Bacula?

I`m administrating two Oracle 10g Servers and back them up with bacula.
One is a development-server - with the ClientRunBeforeJob directive I shutdown the oracle-db (service oradb stop), then backup the whole system (closed-database backup basically) and start the oracle again with the ClientRunAfterJob directive. (This would be without RMAN)

Of course this can only be done if you can afford that the database goes down during the backup which is not always the case.

This is why we have another Oracle-Server (development-system with live-data) that gets backed up online. I`ve configured a standard oracle-online-backup with the Enterprise Manager (Saturday Fullbackup + Inc Sun-Fri - everything handled by RMAN). This backup goes to a seperate partition on the oracle-server. Now bacula backs-up the system, the oracle itself and the backup-area.

I hope that helped you a bit.

Daniel Holtkamp                    Riege Software International GmbH
System Administration                                   Mollsfeld 10
40670 Meerbusch, Germany                     Phone: +49-2159-9148-41
mail: holtkamp [at] riege.com                Fax:   +49-2159-9148-11