Timo Eissler wrote:
Hello list,

we use bacula in our firm and it work great, but we had a lot of questions before we can install bacula at our customers. The problem is that bacula needs in our mind a system operator to control bacula and we are our customers operator, but normally they want to change their tapes themselves
because every hour we work for them costs money.

We think these features should be added to bacula before we can install bacula at our customers and let a normal user change tapes and control the backup. A normal user we think could not work with the bconsole, he just can read emails
and change tapes.

1. It should be possible to show the tapes who should go into an fireproof safe or another building with which a complete restore
   of all data (regardless how much pools or jobs exist).

2. Which tapes should be inserted for the next jobs (maybe the hole week).
I think the best way to realise this is to get a list with all tapes from all pools in the order bacula wants to use them. Now the normal user can choose which tapes he must insert (he will know how much tapes from which pool because we can say it to him or he can read it in our documenation).

3. Automatically cleaning of the tape drive. (after x used tapes, x GB or maybe every saturday) I think this can be scripted and scheduled with an admin job, but we think this should be a function of bacula.

no.
new tape drives aks for cleaning tape with a special LED, also manufacurer tells you only to use cleaning tape when asked for it

Another problem we had is the way bacula will check the "Volume Use Duration". In our case we change tapes mondays for the differential data backups which run Monday till Friday. We want every day to go on another Volume, so we set Volume Use Duration to 23hours. The Problem is that bacula checks the Volume Use Duration only after a Backup, so we tried to let an admin job which run with that pool set the VolStatus for the used tape to Used, but this wouldnt work. A quick fix will be an job which run on that pool and just backup a small file to close the tape. We think it would be a great feature to choose if the Duration check should be made after, before or after and before the backup.

I think this was all... No :) we want to thank everybody who contribute something to bacula for this really great piece of software!

Thanks and regards,
Timo

Florian